Greek doors of art – Photo Essay

Wineries are often so beautiful, Mercouri vineyard near Olympia in Greece on Mallory on Travel, adventure, adventure travel, photography

The beautiful vineyard of Mercouri

Travelling around Greece there are a great many amazing things to experience, friendly people, awesome archeological sites, beautiful works of art, stunning scenery and wonderful towns and villages. Sometimes the simple things can leave the longest impression like Greek doorways and gardens.

A bar and restaurant on the Saronic island of Hydra off Athens, Greece on Mallory on Travel, adventure, adventure travel, photography

A favourite kind of doorway one with a bar

Old shop doorways on Hydra in the Greek Saronic islands near Athens on Mallory on Travel, adventure, adventure travel, photography Iain_Mallory_050444

Old doorways of Hydra

The Greek monastic enclave at Meteora, Thessaly on Mallory on Travel, adventure, adventure travel, photography

A colourful mural in Grand Meteora

I decided to post this as due to internet connection difficulties most were not able to be posted on this week’s #FriFotos and they deserve to be seen. If y0u are not aware of FriFotos check it out on twitter it’s a great photo sharing project which predictably takes place every Friday.

Greek doors may not be what we traditionally consider works of art but they certainly qualify as far as I am concerned.

Doorway along the main Spetses road on the Greek Saronic Island on Mallory on Travel, adventure, adventure travel, photography

An attractive doorway on Spetses

Old house on the Olympia to Napflio road in Greece on Mallory on Travel, adventure, adventure travel, photography

Even rundown buildings can have a special charm

The Greek mountain community of the Pelion in the village of Makrinitsa on Mallory on Travel, adventure, adventure travel, photography Iain_Mallory_053766

Taking the last mule home

Doorways can come in many shapes and forms and sometimes they don’t even look like the normal ones we expect.

Hot springs at Lake Kaiafas in Greek Olympia on Mallory on Travel, adventure, adventure travel, photography

Cave at the hot springs at Lake Kaiafas where does it lead?

A virtual door in Athens World of Hellenic Cosmos museum on Mallory on Travel, adventure, adventure travel, photography

The incredible virtual reality World of Hellenic Cosmos

Wine and wildlfie at Mercouri in olympia, Greece on Mallory on Travel, adventure, adventure travel, photography

Winery with peacocks at Mercouri in Olympia

Monk skulls on view at the monastery of Grand Meteora in Thessaly, Greece on Mallory on Travel, adventure, adventure travel, photography

The Great Meteora monastery skull closet

Archways in Hydra in the Greek Saronic Islands in the Aegean Sea off Athens on Mallory on Travel, adventure, adventure travel, photography Iain_Mallory_050722

Doorways leading to doorways

Dramatic lighting at the Angelica Hotel on Hydra, Greek Saronic Islands on Mallory on Travel, adventure, adventure travel, photography

Angelica Hotel in Hydra

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

Subscribe & Never Miss an Update or New Post

Hi, If you've enjoyed reading that post,why not sign up for regular updates? You'll never miss an article again it's the easy way to find vicarious adventures.

37 Responses to “Greek doors of art – Photo Essay”

1. Amelia Abbott February 17, 2012 at 2:33 pm #

Beautiful pictures Ian! I “collect” doors too!

• Iain February 17, 2012 at 11:20 pm #

I just collect beautiful and interesting things Amelia, thank you.

2. Crystal Barnett December 7, 2011 at 10:20 pm #

Gorgeous Iain. Wonderful photos, Greece is so fabulous. A perfect pick-me-up! It was on a plaque to the right.
    Crystal Barnett recently posted..Cancer Tips

• Iain December 9, 2011 at 11:19 pm #

Really glad you liked the photos and the post Crystal and I agree Greece is ab fab ;)

3. Natasha von Geldern @NvGtravels November 19, 2011 at 10:17 am #

Wonderful photos, Greece is so fabulous. I think we shouldn’t measure the ‘success’ or prosperity of a country based on the financial indicators of the industrial world!

• Iain November 19, 2011 at 2:25 pm #

Absolutely Natasha, Greece really has a great deal to offer almost every traveller. So much history and culture, beautiful scenery and lovely friendly people, greeting visitors with a welcoming smile. Financial stability maybe assured if they can really market all of this well and draw in even more visitors than they currently attract.

4. Sheila Madhvani November 5, 2011 at 9:09 pm #

Thank you for sharing those stunning photos fool of colour, life, mystery and history. Your pictures are a tiny glimpse into the beauty of another world….which appears to bear no relationship to the economic woes currently besetting Greece. What a relief!

• Iain November 6, 2011 at 5:00 pm #

I am glad you liked them Sheila and agree totally there was little real sign of the economic crisis, the people were so friendly, welcoming and generous. I really enjoyed my visit.

5. Abi November 4, 2011 at 9:32 am #

A perfect pick-me-up! Thanks
    Abi recently posted..A Beautiful Moment – And Breaking The Rules

• Iain November 4, 2011 at 8:17 pm #

Thanks back atcha Abi

6. Shirlene from Idelish November 1, 2011 at 6:46 am #

Beautiful shots! Love the colors and diversity you captured here!
    Shirlene from Idelish recently posted..{Worldwide} Traditional Foods You Should Try from Around the World

• Iain November 2, 2011 at 12:08 am #

Merci beaucoup Shirlene just happy you liked it and the pictures

7. Merav @ AllWays Christchurch Rental Cars November 1, 2011 at 1:00 am #

Currently, sitting at my office and looking at these photos I think to myself I should have been wondering the streets of a small village in Greece (the temp is certainly suitable!) and enjoying the simple things in life :-)

• Iain November 2, 2011 at 12:05 am #

Sounds like a great idea Merav perfect place for just chilling and enjoying life simple or otherwise

8. Angeline October 31, 2011 at 7:37 pm #

I am so glad you posted this. Beautiful. I love the photo on Spetses.

• Iain October 31, 2011 at 11:40 pm #

Thank you Angeline, easy to take beautiful images in a beautiful location like Greece and Spetses.

9. dmg October 31, 2011 at 3:26 pm #

Beautiful pictures, truly wonderful post. Thank you!

I must ask the location of the photo with the caption, “A favourite kind of doorway one with a bar.”

I realize many of these scenes and settings recur throughout the Greek islands, are in fact nigh iconic, but I am pretty sure I ate at the restaurant to the left in your photo…

• Iain October 31, 2011 at 11:39 pm #

Thank you and the location is the wonderful Saronic Island of Hydra, it was closed when I was around or else it would have been somewhere that I would have given a try, it looked wonderful.

10. TravelDesigned October 31, 2011 at 1:42 pm #

Iain, you are right, these doors should not be missed. I am so glad you shared them even though late.
    TravelDesigned recently posted..FriFotos Doors

• Iain October 31, 2011 at 11:36 pm #

Glad you agree Stephanie :) thanks for taking the time to look and for sharing it.

11. Beverly October 31, 2011 at 12:50 pm #

Beautiful, Iain – Love your doors of Greece. I “collect” doors too! Just posted some faves from Prague – although your photos are far superior! You have a great eye.
    Beverly recently posted..Prague in Pictures

• Iain October 31, 2011 at 11:35 pm #

Awww come on Beverly your own pictures are equally as good if not better, you’re just you’re own worst critic as many of us are :)

12. Sophie October 31, 2011 at 9:36 am #

Greece is so photogenic, isn’t it…
    Sophie recently posted..Murder and Mayhem in London through the Ages – Part 3: Jack the Ripper

• Iain October 31, 2011 at 11:33 pm #

No arguments from me Sophie

13. Dora October 31, 2011 at 7:43 am #

Lovely photography! I just found your blog and loved it! :-) If you have a minute, check out mine, it has started with summer’s travelling, but it’s about to develop soon -it’s quite fresh!:-)

Hugs from Athens,
    Dora

• Iain October 31, 2011 at 11:31 pm #

It is always pleasing to hear somebody likes my site and the photography and posts thank you for taking the time to comment. I did take a look at your own site Dora good job!

14. Andrew October 31, 2011 at 7:29 am #

What a great selection. Especially the door with the philosophers in Grand Meteroa. Hey, do you happen to have a readable photo of the description of that mural? It was on a plaque to the right. Mine didn’t come out and I want to read it again. Email me or contact through my site if you happen to have one.
    Andrew recently posted..A Quick Guide to Near but not In Cinque Terre

• Iain October 31, 2011 at 11:29 pm #

Thanks Andrew it is an amazing mural but unfortunately I don’t seem to have a picture of the description, sorry.

15. Dean October 31, 2011 at 7:24 am #

Lovely photos. The colours and history in Greece would have to make it a photographer’s dream location.
    Dean recently posted..Photo of the week: Life on the Chao Phraya River in Bangkok, Thailand

• Iain October 31, 2011 at 11:28 pm #

It is indeed a great country for photography so many amazing sites and sources of inspiration, loved it thank you I am glad you liked it.

16. Jackie Rose (@letssitoutside) October 31, 2011 at 4:50 am #

Beautiful post! Thanks for sharing!

• Iain October 31, 2011 at 11:26 pm #

Thank you Jackie I am so glad you liked it.

17. Judy October 31, 2011 at 3:38 am #

Gorgeous Iain. I love these type of photos. While I was in Greece took pictures of doors, windows, etc…Love your Pictures as always Iain. Beautiful.

• Iain October 31, 2011 at 11:25 pm #

I really appreciate your support Judy you have always encouraged me, thank you for the kind words.

18. Cailin October 31, 2011 at 12:32 am #

Beautiful pictures Ian! I love the vibrant blues! :)
    Cailin recently posted..Favorite Film Friday 025

• Iain October 31, 2011 at 1:08 am #

I am glad you liked them Cailin and hear exactly what you are saying the blues also attracted my eye every time.